River Deep, Mountain Dew

This is how I “Dew” it!

The last time I wrote was four days after having my second surgery. Thankfully, the surgery was a success and I am now pain free – hooray for me! The port was repositioned and instead of it sticking in my ribs it’s now in the centre out of the way and not being a nuisance.

It’s strange when I lay flat in bed because I can feel the port under my skin. It feels weird but not sore at all. I’m still a little tender around the area where the port was before but I’m not sure if it’s always been like this. I’ve never really been in the habit of poking myself in the side enough to know whether it normally hurts or not! I just won’t poke myself in that area and I’ll be fine.

On the weight loss side – I’m still not happy. I lost a little weight after the surgery as I had my first fill. It wasn’t much and I haven’t really notice much of a difference in the way I’m eating. I still feel as if I’m eating too much but I’m comparing this to what I expected to be eating when I read those ‘guide’ books before the surgery. I was thinking I’d be eating meals out of an egg cup but that’s not the case.

I had a check-up with the dietician earlier this week. I was weighed and, for the first time since the original surgery, I’ve put on a couple of pounds. She wasn’t really bothered because she said it’s expected but I’m bothered. I hate this. I want to be losing weight! She asked about what and how I’m  eating and how I’m feeling. She was pleased with what I told her…

I’m spending a lot more money than before the surgery as my shopping would be done on a monthly basis, filling up the freezer with convenience food that can be prepared in a few minutes via the microwave. I rarely ate anything fresh, didn’t really eat breakfast, had a  late-afternoon lunch and then not eat dinner until 9-10pm by which time I was so hungry I couldn’t get it in my face fast enough.

Now I call into the local supermarket 3-4 times a week for a top-up of fresh food. I eat porridge in the mornings from a portion-controlled sachet so I can’t eat more than I’m meant to. I eat lunch earlier and usually it’s a sandwich I’ve made rather than bought with either an apple or a packet of crisps (French Fries, Quavers or Wotsits – something light). I try to eat every 3-4 hours but I’m often very busy in work and don’t manage this. I need to work on it though. My dinner is then steamed vegetables in a bag so it’s portion-controlled with a grilled chicken breast from my George Formby grill (“turned out nice again!”). I know it’s not really called a George Formby but it’s what I call it. It sounds more fun to use. If you don’t know who George Formby is, Google him, he’s fun.

So, all in all, I’m far more healthy even if my bank balance isn’t.

The dietician was happy with all this combined with the fact than I’m walking a lot more since moving offices. I haven’t been able to join a gym (costs/timing) but it’s definitely something I’m looking at in the new year when hopefully I’ll have more money. In the meantime, walking up the hill then down the hill to the station each morning, then from the station to work and the same on the way home will have to do. I’m usually almost dead and in need of oxygen by the time I’ve climbed the hill from the station so this must count for something.

Anyway, I found out that I only had a 2ml fill during the last surgery. That’s nothing! I could spit more than that. So the dietician was going to try and get me in before Christmas but I’ve not had a call so I’ll just keep waiting. She was pleased with everything in the grand scheme of things including the little bit of weight gain. The only thing I got a bit of a slapped wrist for was not taking my multi-vitamin. Oops! Have reinstated the regime as of yesterday. I’m doing well do far – remembered to take it two days in a row.

When I had the surgery in June I thought that by Christmas I’d be a  bit more svelte and lithe. Hmm, not quite. I’m going on holiday at the weekend and I thought the next time I wore a bathing costume I’d feel more comfortable and confident in it. Guess I’ll just have to keep waiting. I know it’s a long process and I just have to take it one day at a time and that’s what I’ll keep doing.

One good bit of news is that I’m currently wearing a size 22 skirt. Six months ago I was a size 28. This time next year I’ll be mistaken for Tyra Banks. No, really!

Ok, maybe Agyness Deyn. I’d settle for that.