63st girl cut free from home

Exclusive in THE SUN by JOHN COLES

An army of firemen, engineers and medics demolished part of a house to save Britain’s biggest teenager yesterday after she had a seizure. It was the only way 19-year-old Georgia Davis, said by friends to be 63 stone [882lbs, 400kg], could be hauled from her room in Aberdare, South Wales, and taken to hospital.

Demolition ... emergency crews at the house yesterday

The amazing operation to save Georgia lasted eight hours and involved a 40-strong team. It was launched when Georgia collapsed with breathing problems and chest pains in the bedroom that has become her prison. She was taken to hospital only after the rescue squad:

DEMOLISHED the top half of her mum’s semi-detached house with sledgehammers and circular saws, making a 10ft by 10ft hole.

TORE down an internal dividing wall so Georgia could be removed from her back bedroom.

Ramp ... built before Georgia Davis can be taken to hospital

ERECTED a scaffold-supported 20ft-long ramp reaching up to the gaping hole from the pavement, which runs past the sunken house at ground-floor window level.

FITTED supports to prevent the roof collapsing, and LIFTED Georgia on to the ramp with a CRANE.

The teenager was in a special stretcher, that itself weighed 11 stone, and was gently eased to a waiting ambulance that was reinforced to take her weight. Georgia was taken to hospital in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, with an oxygen mask over her face. She was said to be seriously ill last night with her mother Lesley by her side. The anxious mum told The Sun: “There’s a lot going on right now.”

Rescue ramp .... viewed from air

Paramedics quickly realised Georgia was too big to be taken out through doors following her collapse at Lesley’s housing association home in Aberdare. And their alarm triggered the incredible rescue operation. It was led by the fire service who sent 28 officers to the scene, including specialists. Staff from the local council’s Emergency Planning and Social Services Team were on hand together with police, health officials and scaffolding workers. Traffic was diverted as cops imposed a 300-yard cordon.

At one point some 25 vehicles packed streets near the house, including two fire engines, four fire service vans and a health authority minibus. Huge tarpaulins were put up to protect Georgia’s dignity from curious locals as she was put in the ambulance. Days before her seizure Georgia told Facebook friends: “I’m in bed but problem is can’t get up.

“Earlier I was blocked in the toilet for 20 minutes and if you sit on the loo for that long it bloody hurts.”

Local Jonathan Price, 41, told how Georgia first fell ill on Wednesday. He said: “She texted my daughter to tell her she was in agony with chest and back pains and they were waiting to get her to hospital. She hasn’t been out of bed for months and they couldn’t shift her.” A neighbour added the teenager’s weight had rocketed this year and she had been “effectively immobile for six months”. Georgia is a registered carer for her mum, who has heart problems and arthritis. But in effect the mother looks after her – as well as her stepdad Arthur, who has lung cancer.

The Sun first told of Georgia’s battle with bulk when she weighed in at 33 stone at just 15. She was suffering from crippling aches and Type 2 diabetes. And medics warned her: “Lose 20 stone or die.” Georgia checked into a kids’ weight loss camp called the Wellspring Academy in the US state of North Carolina. After nine months there she lost an impressive 14st 6lbs. The first six stone vanished in weeks as she ditched her normal diet of cheese, biscuits and chocolate for lean buffalo meat burgers. The teenager, who took two plane seats on her flight across the Atlantic, enjoyed hikes in the Blue Ridge Mountains, basketball and tennis.

After shrinking from size 38 to size 22 she was able to wear fashionable clothes for the first time. But within 20 months of her dramatic transformation she was back up to 40st 6lbs and on a 13,000 calorie-a-day diet. She said: “When I arrived home my mum said she hadn’t had time to prepare any healthy food, so we had fish and chips instead.”

By August last year she hit 45 stone, saying she was ravaged by worry over the poor health of her mother and stepdad. She added: “I was looking after them all the time. I was feeling so sad that they were both going downhill so fast and I stopped taking care of myself.


From The Sun – 25/5/2012



1 Comment

Add Yours

Comments are closed.